Monday, August 17, 2009

Setting Up the Room

On Friday, I finally got to see what my classroom will look like. Now I just have to make the decorating decisions. Which way do I want desks to face? What do I want on my bulletin boards? Where do I want my desk, etc., etc.? Today, I really have to decide, because I am now allowed in the building to fix up my room the way I want it.

Up until now, the building that will become our alternative high school has been under renovation. It's still not finished. I don't even know if it will be all the way finished by the first day of school, but we were promised that at least our classrooms would be ready with the furniture moved back in by today at noon. So I am going in today at 12:30 in the hopes that I can finally get some work done.

I like the set up of my room for the most part. The only thing I am not happy about is where my desk will be. I like my desk to be at the back of the room in a corner. I never sit at my desk while teaching, so there's no reason for it to be in the way. But because of where the SMART Board is going to be located, my desk complete with computer, will have to be at the front. Not too happy about that, but what are you going to do?

I'm going to have my Student of the Month Board and my WA+ll of Fame as usual. I also have a banner bulletin board at the front that seems perfect for a number line and another banner bulletin board on the side that I will use for posting procedures. I'm big on procedures. I will probably post more about procedures at a later date.

But this morning, I am just killing time, waiting to get into my room!

The weekend's work was a success. I have two full rings of index cards filled with energizers, motivators, and review/closure activities and games. These small index cards are going to make planning so much easier this time around.

After decorating, I'm going to have to sit down and really fine tune my Syllabus for the kids - and for myself. Different school, different administrators, different rules and consequences. I have to make sure everything matches up.

Still looking for good brain teasers and riddles, though! Let me hear your favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites