Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Plan

I have a plan.

It is possible that I will have four preps this year. Count them. Four. One, two, three, four. That's a pretty heavy load. But I don't have too much of a choice. Being the only math teacher in the alternative school means that any students who need in class instruction are going to have to be taught by me. Yes, some of the kids will be doing independent study online classes, but most of the kids are behind in math and will see me at some point during the day. The last time I spoke with the Director of the school, he said that the classes they were probably going to offer are Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1A, Algebra 1B, and Integrated Algebra/Geometry. Pre-Algebra is self-explanatory, Algebra 1A and Algebra 1B are just one full year of Algebra I split up into two semesters for block scheduling purposes, but Integrated Algebra/Geometry? Huh?

I took most of my free time today and sat down to figure out my curriculum for the first semester of Integrated Algebra/Geometry. I've taught Algebra, and I've taught Geometry, but never have I taught a class that is supposed to cover the basics of both. From the course description:

"This course is designed to aide students who require additional work at the skills acquired in PreAlgebra. Students will continue to study basic algebraic skills while integrating geometric concepts."

What the heck does that mean?

So I took the day and planned it out. I had been a little overwhelmed with the idea of planning for four separate classes, but when I just looked at one it wasn't so bad. It was time consuming, but also good for me to think about. In planning I learned more about the direction I want to take the class and almost had fun doing it. In fact, I'm done. No, I haven't written all the lesson plans, but I have mapped out what I am going to teach and in what order.

Yes, it will probably change, but I like to have a plan. I would rather have something to scrap than nothing to start with at all.

I have three more days to work before the school year starts (I try not to do work on Sunday). What a coincidence I have three more preps to work on! So each day, I'm just going to take one prep and plan it out for the year. That's manageable.

And at least I have a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites