Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Inequality

I have two thoughts on my mind today.

The first thought is on the lesson I taught in Algebra today. We're doing an inequalities unit. Instead of starting out the unit in the normal way (introducing the different inequality symbols, basic graphing, etc.), I started by taking a day to talk about a real life problem - social inequality.

We had a class discussion about what types of inequalities there are in society and why these inequalities appear between individuals, states, and even countries. I was quite pleased with the kids' ideas and thoughts in our class discussions. In fact, the discussion went longer than I had planned because the kids had so many great ideas.

Their assignment is not due until Friday when they have to turn in an essay that describes two things they would suggest that our lawmakers do to help with these problems. I'm looking forward to reading their answers.


The other thought on my mind stems from a book I've been reading recently. Our district has a book club that I've been participating in and one of the books we are reading is called Inside Mrs. B's Classroom: Courage, Hope, and Learning on Chicago's South Side. It's the story of the beginning teaching journey of Leslie Baldacci, who switched careers after twenty-five years of writing for the Chicago Sun-Times to teaching in an inner city school in Chicago.

As I've been reading it, I've found many things to laugh at, but mostly it's forced me to reminisce more than I have in several years. The similarities between what Mrs. B. describes on the south side of Chicago and what I experienced in a rural district in Mississippi are shockingly similar. Not knowing what you're teaching until the day you begin. Not having rosters or a clean room. The crazy behavior that those of us who come from a standard middle class background are not used to - no matter how well we think we are prepared for it or how well we have been warned.

But mostly, this reading has made me think of my former students and what a special place they will always have in my heart.

As I read some of the descriptions that Mrs. Baldacci made of her students, the faces of my students were matching up with some of her descriptions.

The student who tries so hard to be good, but gets frustrated and as soon as one thing goes wrong for the day he is lost. But his work is always turned in and some of the best work in the class.

The girl who is so illiterate, but makes up for her illiteracy with personality.

The rare student who is so gifted it breaks your heart, because you know they will never have access to the same type of education that kids in the suburbs will get, but she's just as smart, if not smarter than all of those kids.

I pulled up my old grade books just to pour over their names. Don't worry, I'm not sitting here crying over their names. I guess now, so much of the pain of the situation in Mississippi is gone and I mostly think of the good things.

The boys who tried so hard to be "gangsta" and only you would see when they would break the facade in the middle of an "aha" moment.

My teen parents who really did try hard to balance parenting with their school work. Sometimes it went well and sometimes....I didn't even know how to help them when they have no help at home.

The clique girls who would not be separated - in life or death, they were so sure.

The chronic absentees that you are so excited to see, but have no idea how to catch them up on the days/weeks they have missed.

The girls who want to be models because Tyra looks so cool on T.V. but they have no idea that they need to grow another 5 inches and somehow get discovered in a big city.....very far away.

The typical class clowns who steal your heart even when they are cracking jokes at everything in class.

The quiet, shy kids who just don't fit in.

The kids whose home lives you could not have imagined if you hadn't heard it yourself.

I see their smiles. I don't remember many of the times that they called me names or threw temper tantrums or got in fights. Maybe that's a curse, maybe it's a blessing. I can hear them laugh or see them working together on a project. Many of them are my friends on facebook now and I can see them going to college and I nearly burst with pride.

The hardest and best part of being a teacher is the emotional connection you make with students. The students who are easy to love and the ones that take some work, the advanced learners and the ones you can't read - in the end they all just make you smile.

Teaching is probably one of the most emotionally draining professions, but also one of the most emotionally rewarding as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites