Monday, February 22, 2010

The Angry Teacher

Today I am an angry teacher and need to vent some steam.

We got somewhere between 5-8 inches of snow last night. The streets are mostly plowed, but not in good shape. In fact, one of the main roads to the high school has a two foot high burm of snow right down the middle of it that I had to try to drive through to get to work today. And that is after I spent half an hour digging myself out of the driveway.

Could we even get a 2 hour delayed start like some of the schools in the area? Of course not, that would be crazy. It would be crazy to be reasonable and allow people time to safely get themselves to work instead of rushing like crazy people and almost getting pinned beneath their own car as they struggle to push it out of 5-8 inches of snow.

Every other school in the area was either canceled or had a delayed start - except for my lovely district.

My husband's leg is broken and I had to scrape and shovel and push the car out myself today. I don't even get paid enough as a teacher to buy a stupid snow blower. But I am expected to magically show up on time and in a happy mood?

Every time this happens I get very angry. But I'm finally here, I should be ok now right?

Wrong, because in the end this will be a waste of a day. Our attendance will be so poor from kids who just don't come because of snow to kids who are legitimately called in by their parents because of snow. No matter what, I will have such low attendance that I will end up reteaching everything that I taught today.

So tell me how coming to school today was in the best interest of the kids?




And personally, I will always say that coming to school for a few extra days in June when the weather is nice and the sun actually wakes up before I do is always better than breaking my back shoveling and pushing my car out of the snow at 6 a.m. when it's still dark.

I'll go until the end of June if it means that I don't have to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites