Thursday, April 29, 2010

More Differentiation and Independent Projects! In Math!

Yes, it's true. I am continuing with my recent trend of more differentiation and more independent math projects. It seems to be working very well, especially with the types of kids I work with.

The portfolio assignment went so well in Practical Math. The kids enjoyed the visitors, did their daily math assignments and so many of them went above and beyond what I expected for the portfolio assignments. I have such wonderful, creative students - even if all teachers say that, I still think mine are always the best!

In fact, it went so well, that I'm going to try a portfolio assessment for Algebra as well. I have not ironed out the details yet, but I have one week at the end of the school year that is open to whatever I choose, because we will finish the required curriculum early. Snow days will give you that extra time at the end of 4th term, I guess. I think that it will be a great way for the kids to showcase what they have learned, but also not be too stressful the last full week of school. Kids and teachers do have trouble focusing during that time and I think it will be a good activity for all of us.

The idea that I am playing with is giving the kids a list of all the topics we have studied this year and also giving them a list of possible activities they can do, e.g. write a rap, make a poster, design a news program, etc. They will need to match up a certain number of topics with a certain number of activities that will demonstrate what they know about the topics they pick. Suggestions on this idea? Again, it's still in the works in the back of my cluttered brain.

Practical Math is also going well. I have a good mix of group work and individual work each day. We are currently working in construction teams that have to put together bids each day to win my business. I pose as a customer each day with a special construction need, whether it is siding, carpet, windows, or whatever, and the teams have to figure out the cost of parts and labor as well as profit to charge me. If they do their math correctly, I pay them the full amount and they "deposit" their money into their bank account each day. After this unit, they will use all the money they made to invest in the stock market, buy real estate, and complete their final project which is to plan a vacation.

I've really liked this unit and the kids seem to like it as well. Overall, I think Practical Math has been a huge success. It has done what I hoped it would do. There are a few things I want to do to fine tune the class for next year, but I really enjoy teaching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites